Simple Biscuiteers vanilla biscuit recipe
- 350g plain flour
- 100g self-raising flour
- 125g granulated sugar
- 125g salted butter softened, diced
- 125g golden syrup1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Sift the flours together into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the butter. Using just the tips of your fingers, rub the ingredients together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- When all the butter is evenly mixed in, make a well in the centre and add the syrup, egg and vanilla.
- Mix well, drawing in any of the flour left at the side of the bowl, and stop as soon as a ball has formed.
- Cut your biscuits out with a rhino-shaped cutter
- Bake at 170 degrees for 14-16 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before decorating
Once you have your delicious biscuits, you can prepare the icing. We recommend using royal icing, and following the instructions on the packet. Colour it grey with a few drops of black food colouring. The trick to icing a biscuit is to make two batches of icing, one thick and one thin. Outline the edge of the biscuit with a fine line of the thick icing, and allow it to set. For expert tips on icing techniques, check out the Biscuiteers site.
Once the edging is set, you can ‘flood’ the rest of the biscuit with thinner icing. While it’s still wet, add a drop of black icing for the eye, and add toes and a white horn.
Once your rhino is complete, let the icing set and tuck in. Check out the GIF below for step by step icing instructions.
Rhino week is all about saving rhinos from extinction. Help Ol Pejeta protect their animals from poachers, and donate today.